Where I’ve Been

It’s been a long two-and-a-half weeks. Now that I’m back, here’s what kept me away for so long:

I Caught a Cold

It started on Fat Tuesday. Nothing but a cold, so I thought no big deal. As you’ll see below, I was quite wrong.


We celebrated Ash Wednesday as a family at the Carmel of Maria Regina. A simple, beautiful mass with the sisters and a small group of lay people. We tried to talk Anna into receiving ashes, but she wasn’t interested. Maybe next year.

Structural Editing

With the first draft finished, it was time to start rewrites and the first step any rewrite is to tear the original draft apart. I got through 241 of the 317 pages (just over 57,000 words) in a week’s worth of intensive editing. The rest of the draft needs more work—including a different ending—but I’ve made a good start.

The Rite of Election

The penultimate step in joining the Catholic Church. We drove up to Corvallis and Julia presented me to the archbishop who signed off on me. All that’s left is my First Reconciliation and my Confirmation in the Church at Easter Vigil. My dad is flying up to support me. He’s not Catholic and as far as I know he’s never been to an Easter Vigil. He has no idea what he’s in for.

My Cold Turned into a Sinus Infection

Everything above kept me bust for the first week I was off the blog. As for the second week, well, just as I though I was getting over my cold, I woke up last Thursday with with a 102° fever. My first thought was flu (so much for getting a flu shot) but as my fever came down and my now-constant headache focused onto my left cheek, I realized I had a sinus infection. I went to the doctor on Monday and am now on antibiotics.

Anna’s Ballet Show

Julia picked up strep around the same time I got my sinus infection. With Anna’s first show with Ballet Fantastique coming up on Saturday, we feared that she would get sick too and miss it. Thankfully, she didn’t, and she got to dance a simplified version of Tchaikovsky’s Dance of the Little Swans with her classmates. So cute.


It’s taken a few days for the antibiotics to take hold, but Julia’s back to work and I’m back to my normal routine. Already thinking about what to post tomorrow . . .


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s